[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Coil efficiency

From: 	Edward V. Phillips[SMTP:ed-at-alumni.caltech.edu]
Sent: 	Monday, November 17, 1997 2:01 PM
To: 	tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: 	Re: Coil efficiency

"I have this question in my mind for weeks: According to the 1996 (or any)
edition of "The ARRL Handbook For Radio Amateurs", "the (coupling)
coefficient with air-core coils may run as high as 0.6 or 0.7 if one coil is
would over the other." This is logical to say that the maximum efficiency of
a regular (3 air-core coils) magnifier system can never beyond 70%, yet I
remember that in one of Richard Hull's tapes, Richard said that it can
approaches 100%. How come?"
	Coupling factor and efficiency are totally different
beasts!  You can have a high coupling factor and a low
efficiency, if the losses are high, and a low coupling
factor with high efficiency.
Ed