[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Best Secondary Surface coating

From: 	Chuck Curran[SMTP:ccurran-at-execpc-dot-com]
Sent: 	Monday, November 17, 1997 6:20 PM
To: 	Tesla List
Subject: 	Re: Best Secondary Surface coating

Hello Vivian:

Your question just might end up with your receiving many recommendations,
such as "What's the best automobile?" would too.  However, I would like to
share with you my own choice.  I would recommend looking for a Polyurethane
clear coating.  There are several on the market here in the US but I have no
idea what brand names will be found in the UK.  I have coated two secondary
coils with Polyurethane coatings in the last 20 months with good results.  I
should really qualify that remark"good results".  My goal was to provide a
means of locking the wire onto the form, make the entire assembly moisture
proof and also create a high gloss finish (simply to improve the
appearance).  I never spent any time checking on any improvement in the
overall coil dielectric properties.   Others on the list have used no
coating, water based Polyurethane, varnish and on and on.  Most seem to have
had reasonable results as long as the wire overcoat itself is not subjected
to any attack by the solvent system in the final coating---   Good Luck on
your search.

Chuck Curran
Cedarburg, WI