[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RE- coil form questions

From: 	Robert Michaels[SMTP:robert.michaels-at-online.sme-dot-org]
Sent: 	Sunday, November 16, 1997 7:17 AM
To: 	tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: 	RE- coil form questions

TL>From:  randy-at-gte-dot-net[SMTP:randy-at-gte-dot-net]
TL>Subject:  coil form questions

TL>I tried to post some of these questions previously, but either the
TL>post didn't make it or the replies never made it to me.

TL>1.What about fiberglass? If properly sealed, would this make a suitable
TL>  form material? They do make helical-wound 'glass antennas for HF use.

        The fiberglass part of fiberglass is -- glass.  And glass
        is glass.

        The resin part of fiberglass is -- a kissing-cousin of
        styrene.  (Or more precisely polystrene, once it has
        been catalyzed and cured).

        Polystyrene is perfectly acceptable in Tesla-work.  Your
        rationale for the addition of the fiberglass is a bit of a
        puzzle.  It is much more costly to wind and coat a
        fiberglass tube than it is to simply cast a polystrene
        one.  The fiberglass adds considerable strength, but in
        Tesla-work, who cares?

        A fiberglass tube is quite apt to be very much heavier
        than a polystyrene tube -- all things being equal.  So
        the problems of supporting it and turning it (for winding
        purposes) are multiplied.   (Likewise, shipping, storing,
        erecting, supporting it.)
                How much strength does it take to hold an
                aluminum torous and a length of #26 (or whatever)
                wire?

        So --

        My answer to you is:  Yes.  It's acceptable.

        My question to you is:  Why the hell would anyone bother?

TL>2.What about tapered coil forms; any problems here?

        Dr. Tesla liked them.  They were quite popular up into
        the 1920s or so.   Very traditional.  Like gutta percha.

TL>3.What about those orange "road cones" for traffic control. The usual
TL>  variety that I see are one-piece semi-rigid or rather floppy, but I
TL>  have seen 2-piece (base,cone) type that are somewhat stiffer.

        You can answer this for yourself after you answer these
        three questions of mine:

        1) Have you read today's posts on various polymers and
           their suitability for Tesla-work?

        2) Do you recall Michael's Pyro-organoleptic Test for
           identifying polymers?

                Hint:  You burn it and sniff it.  Then Compare
                       the aroma with that of known specimens.

        3) Of what substance are the traffic cones made?

                                        Coiling-on, in
                                        -- Detroit, USA

                                        Robert Michaels