[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: TV Power supplies

From: 	Alfred A. Skrocki[SMTP:alfred.skrocki-at-cybernetworking-dot-com]
Sent: 	Sunday, November 16, 1997 3:02 AM
To: 	Tesla List
Subject: 	Re: TV Power supplies

On Saturday, November 15, 1997 8:44 PM Alan Hancock
[SMTP:alan-at-sky-dot-net] wrote;

> I haven't started my first coil and may be showing my ignorance, but I
> have seen a few diagrams for power supplies using TV flyback
> transformers.  If the Flyback transformer will power the coil, why not
> use the television receiver's power supply?

Actualy Alan you could and a few of us have, although it won't be
as effective as designing a supply specificaly to drive a Tesla coil.
The supply in a T.V. only needs to supply enough high voltage and current
to drive the electrons to impact the phosphors on the screen and do it at
the horizontal deflection frequency. For a tesla coil you want to get as
much cutrrent out of the flyback as you can for bigger sparks, also the
T.V. needs a particular wave shape on the output to properly image on the
CRT that wave shape is very inefficient for Tesla coils.

                               Sincerely

                                \\\|///
                               (  -at- -at-  )
                           Alfred A. Skrocki
                   Alfred.Skrocki-at-CyberNetworking-dot-com
                             .ooo0   0ooo.
                               \_)   (_/