[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Toroid Design Features

From: 	Chuck Curran[SMTP:ccurran-at-execpc-dot-com]
Sent: 	Saturday, November 15, 1997 1:12 PM
To: 	Tesla List
Subject: 	Re: Toroid Design Features

SNIP

>I haven't got the final quote on the spun article, plus the cost of welding
the
>two halves together and sanding the weld bead, but I expect it to come in
>under $200.  This beats hell out of the $700+ that Ross Engineering wants
>for their finished toroids.  Would anyone be interested in some toroids
near
>this price?  BTW, they are _0.080_inch_aluminum_, that's right, eighty
>thousandths, so they are rugged as hell.  You needn't worry about denting
>your beautiful toroid unless you drop it from a roof-top.
>
>Also, we have the forms for some not-quite perfect toroids (the
>cross-section of the ring is slightly flat on the top, bottom, and sides,
but
>is well- rounded). These are 16"x4".  I am considering asking the spinner
>to turn down the tool slightly to make the ring perfectly round, if he can
do
>that without sending the form back to the tool-maker.  And if he's willing
>to do it.  That tool was made for another customer, although the customer
>probably will never need it again.  I get these spun and welded (usually in
>quantities of ten or more) for around $125. We use them on our smaller
>TC product.
>
>-Gomez

Gomez:

That would be a very attractive price base on the information I have from
both Ross and Hipotronics.  The people at Hipotronics have 13 different
sized toroids with a 34" x 8 1/2" unit listing at $875.00.  The 48" x 12 "
is $1650.00, the 61" x 10 3/4" is $2550.00 and the 76" x 10 3/4" unit is
$2780.00  I do have the various sizes from both of these sources and your
price would be very attractive--I just wish you also had forms for one
around 48" x 12" or even bigger!  If anyone needs the information on other
sizes and phone numbers let me know.  Ah, I don't think I'll be using the
Ross or Hipotronics sources myself.  The esthetics just aren't that
important to me.
A local metal spinning house is giving me a price on a large form on Monday.
He said he needed current costs on Maple wood in order to work out a price.
This shop originally thought they already had an old form close to what I
was asking for, but after he looked it had apparently been pitched years
ago--ouch!  His comment was that it would be measured in the 100's not 10's.
This is a form that would be for a unit that would be like a Donut without
the hole.  Boy, if it is in the low 100's there might be another source.  I
can always dream.  Since the 56" x 10 1/2" toroid I use cost about $75.00 to
make, it looks better every day.

Chuck Curran
Cedarburg, WI