[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Bottle Caps, part III

From: 	Alfred A. Skrocki[SMTP:alfred.skrocki-at-cybernetworking-dot-com]
Sent: 	Thursday, November 13, 1997 2:08 PM
To: 	Tesla List
Subject: 	Re: Bottle Caps, part III

On Thursday, November 13, 1997 1:25 PM Esondrmn-at-aol-dot-com
[SMTP:Esondrmn-at-aol-dot-com] wrote;

> The amount of capacitance you need depends primarily on the secondary
> resonant frequency with top load.  Once the secondary is decided on, design a
> large flat spiral primary with about 12 to 14 turns.  Now calculate the
> capacitor needed to resonate with this primary at the resonant frequency of
> the secondary.  This will result in a smaller sized capacitor.  I see many
> folks who are  overly concerned about sizing the cap to the transformer.  I
> design the coil first, using a large primary which will yield a small value
> cap (smaller sized caps are cheaper and easier to build) then usually apply
> power in ever increasing increments until I reach the limit of the system.

Ed, the only problem with the technique you described is you can easily end
up with the situation where the transformer would be incapable of fully
charging the capacitor. Basicaly speaking the bigger the primary capacitor
the more power you can get into your coil and the bigger the sparks you
will get BUT each transformer can only supply so much power. So what one
should strive to do is find the largest capacitance that their transformer
can fully charge and this is the purpose of the cap calculations.

                               Sincerely

                                \\\|///
                               (  -at- -at-  )
                           Alfred A. Skrocki
                   Alfred.Skrocki-at-CyberNetworking-dot-com
                             .ooo0   0ooo.
                               \_)   (_/