[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

FW: Science Fair Project

From:	Matt Mills [SMTP:megavolt-at-usa-dot-net]
Sent:	Thursday, November 13, 1997 1:52 AM
To:	Tesla List
Subject:	Re: Science Fair Project

Hi Tesla,

Wednesday, 12 November 97, you wrote to me:

> [...]

Hi, from what I know (correct me if im wrong people) The 555
timer acts as the timing circuit. The switching component (the
thing that handles the power) is an SCR (the bigger the better)
the 12volts square wave or the hundreds of volts dont actually go
through the 555 but throught the SCR (I use an 18A SCR which is a bit
of an overkill) I have 240 volts going into my pair of car coils.

BTW dont do what i did and try to measure the voltage output using a
DMM.  I was using a variac to slowly raise the input and was watching
the numbers go up from 600 to 800 to 1000 to 1200 and then there was a
crackling sound and a fizz and my DMM shorted out. I got carried away
watching the numbers and forgot that the DMM could only handle
1000vAC.  :-)

here are the urls i found with plans

http://www.geocities-dot-com/CapeCanaveral/Lab/5322/60kv.htm

http://www.mathematik.uni-marburg.de/~kronjaeg/hv/60kVpulse.html

hope this helps

Matt.

Matt                            mailto:megavolt-at-usa-dot-net