[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: resistors

From:	Peter Electric [SMTP:elekessy-at-macquarie.matra-dot-com.au]
Sent:	Wednesday, November 12, 1997 1:33 AM
To:	Tesla List
Subject:	Re: resistors

Tesla List wrote:

> [...]

I am using fairly large ferrite core chokes (around 30mH) with a string
of 3 by 1K, 10Watt resistors in each leg. Transformers are 15Kv 60Ma.
These used to run stinking hot with the forced air quench gap I ran
previously but something interesting happens with my new sync rotary. If
the rotary is not phased right, the safety gap sparks and the resistors
run very hot. If the sync is spot on, the safety gap stops sparking and
the resistors run noticeably cooler, but the output streamers get
longer!

It would seem from this that much of the heating in the resistors is
power being reflected back into the transformer.

Cheers,

Peter E.