[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RE- Microwave trannies in series

From:	Robert Michaels [SMTP:robert.michaels-at-online.sme-dot-org]
Sent:	Tuesday, November 11, 1997 1:35 AM
To:	tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject:	RE- Microwave trannies in series

        No-way, Jose.   Or, as it happens to be in this case -- Matt.

        At best ris-key-business.  Especially the "5 or more" part!

        If you are dealing with 2200-v transformers then you must
        assume they are insulated for --- um --- oh ---- gee, I don't
        know --- do you suppose, 2200-v ??

        The insulation, among other things, keeps the 2200-v from going
        to earth ground via the grounded side of the 120-v primary.

        With 5 of these in series, you'd get 5 x 2200 = 11,000-v
        So your question reduces to:  "Will transformers insulated
        for 2200-v stand-off 11,000 just as if it were 2200?"

        With commercial (rather than mil-spec. or aerospace) trans-
        formers, it sounds to me like you are setting yourself up
        for serie-ous trouble.

        You can disobey the laws of your legislature if you wish,
        but the laws of physics are something else...

                                                Obeying the law,
                                                in -- Detroit USA

                                                Robert Michaels

        P.S.:  If they're cheap and available as you write, then
        go ahead and try it.  You might get as much as several
        hours of operation before the weakest transformer fails.

        You could then replace that one transformer and run until
        the next weakest one fails.   Hey, it's your party.

        You're not the sort of guy whose afraid of a little flame
        and smoke are you?   And what's a few extra kilovolts on
        the house wiring?  Are we Tesla-coiling here, or what??

10, 1997 5:53 AM