[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: WINDING POWER TRANSFORMERS

From:	Sulaiman Abdullah [SMTP:sulabd-at-hotmail-dot-com]
Sent:	Tuesday, November 11, 1997 8:51 AM
To:	tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject:	Re: WINDING POWER TRANSFORMERS

Hi, there's lots of math available if you wish, but (for 60 Hz) a
fairly good rule-of-thumb is to use 5-turns per rms volt divided
by core area in sq.in.

e.g.  core cross-sectional area = 0.6 sq. in.
      input voltage = 120 v rms

 No. turns = (5 x 120) / 0.6 = 1000

      output voltage = 12 V rms

 No. turns = (5 x 12) / .6 = 100

This give No. of turns required, then you use the thickest wire that
will fit into the winding space. For a simple one primary, one secondary
transformer the winding space should be divided equally between primary
and secondary equally.

This is not EXACT but should be near enough for most silicon-steel
laminations.

Hope this helps (and is correct !, I'm going from memory here)

bye ... Sulaiman