[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RE- EXAM/Microwave Transformers

From: 	Robert Michaels[SMTP:robert.michaels-at-online.sme-dot-org]
Sent: 	Monday, November 10, 1997 11:43 AM
To: 	tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: 	RE- EXAM/Microwave Transformers

Dear People:

        Last week in replying to a post about testing microwave oven
        transformers I made the point that no kilovolt meter was needed
        or ought to be used.

                The post appeared more than once - an error on my
                part in manipulating my mail reader.  Please forgive.

        Rather than of a kilovolt meter, I made the point that a 6-volt
        transformer (or a pair of them) should be used to energize
        the primary of the transformer under test.

                                - - - - - -

        At the end of the post I posed an "examination question":

                Given two such transformers, and only two,
                plus the 120-v ac line, how many different
                voltages may be obtained?

        I hinted that there were at least 8.

                                - - - - - -

        Now, in response to overwhelming demand (well, two of you
        actually), here is the answer:

        Twenty-one different voltages (yes, 21!) may be obtained -
        neglecting trivial repetition.

I. ONE TRANSFORMER BY ITSELF:
=============================

        1)  120-v line by itself = 120-v

     120-V. INTO TRANSFORMER PRIMARY
     -------------------------------
        2)  120-v in = 6-v out

     COMBINING THE 6-V IN SERIES-AIDING & SERIES-OPPOSING
     WITH THE 120-V:
        3)  120-v + 6-v = 126-v.   (aiding)

        4)  120-v - 6-v = 114-v.   (opposing)

     120-V. INTO  =SECONDARY=
     ------------------------
        5)  120-v in = 2400-v out

     AND AGAIN, COMBINING THIS SERIES-AIDING AND SERIES-OPPOSING:
        6)  120-v + 2400-v = 2520-v

        7)  120-v - 2400-v = 2280-v

                Note - A Radio Shack transformer will not very long
                withstand these high voltage -- But -- many so-called
                filament transformers from the vacuum-tube era  =will=!
                Even those not specifically rated for use with high-
                voltage tubes will thus serve well in intermittent
                "Experimenter Duty".

        At this point, we have 7 different voltages counting the
        120-v line itself and using only one of the transformers.

        6 of these voltages may now be applied to either the
        primary or the secondary of the second transformer (the
        first - the 120-v - is Trivial)

II. TWO TRANSFORMERS IN CASCADE (Output of First as Input to Second):

     ABOVE 6 VOLTAGES INTO  =PRIMARY=  OF SECOND TRANSFORMER:
        8)  6-v in   =  0.3-v out   (convenient for testing 10-100-kv
                                   transformers)

        9)  126-v in =  6.3-v out

        10) 114-v in =  5.7-v out

        x)  2520-v in = 126-v out  (Trivial result - not counted)

        x)  2280-v in = 114-v out  (Trivial)

        x)  2400-v in = 120-v out  (Trivial)

     COMBINING THE ABOVE 3 (NON-TRIVIAL) VOLTAGES WITH THE 120-V
     LINE IN SERIES-AIDING AND SERIES-OPPOSING:
        11) & 12):  0.3-v  + (and -)  120-v = 120.3 & 119.7-v

        13) & 14):  6.3-v ditto = 126.3 & 113.7-v

        15) & 16):  5.7-v ditto = 125.7 & 114.3-v

     COMBINING THE 3 VOLTAGES 8), 9), 10) WITH THE PRIMARY VOLTAGE
     WHICH PRODUCED THEM - SERIES-AIDING AND SERIES-OPPOSING:
        x)  &  x):   0.3-v  + (and -)  6-v =  6.3 & 5.7-v   (Trivial)

        17) &  x):   6.3-v ditto  126-v =  132.3 & 119.7-v
                                                (The latter is Trivial)

         x) & 18):   5.7-v ditto  114-v =  119.7 & 108.3-v
                                                (The former is Trivial)

     NOW -  THE FIRST 7 VOLTAGES CAN ALSO BE APPLIED INTO THE
     =SECONDARY=  OF THE SECOND TRANSFORMER:
        x)  6-v in   =  120-v out     (Trivial)

        x)  126-v in = 2520-v out  (Trivial)

        x)  114-v in = 2280-v out  (Trivial)

        19)  2520-v in = 50,400-v out  (Ka-Boom! - Unless you are using
                                        an x-ray filament transformer
                                        or perhaps some types of poten-
                                        transformers)

        20)  2280-v in = 45,600-v out  (softer Ka-Boom)

        21)  2400-v in = 48,000-v out  (softest Ka-Boom)

                                                Wheeew!!, in --
                                                Detroit, USA

                                                Robert Michaels

        P.S.:

        Exam Question  - Joe Blo (from South Kokomo) had such a good
        time with the above that he went out and bought a  =third=
        6-v transformer from Radio Shack:

                - Using only the 120-v line and the 3 transformers
                  how many different voltages may be obtained?

                - Extra Credit:  What is a good place around here
                  to go and have one's head examined?