[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Superconducting magnifier

From: 	Ted[SMTP:tedric-at-generation-dot-net]
Sent: 	Sunday, November 09, 1997 3:19 AM
To: 	Tesla List
Subject: 	Re: Superconducting magnifier

Jim,

I realize the insulation problem too, but it can be solved by using Teflon
since it is useful at sustained temperatures as low as -200 C. Although it
is costly, a thin container is all that is needed. If one is willing to pay
for the superconductor, I don't think price will be too much a concern for
him/ her. Outside the container, polyethylene foam will be used. And the
whole thing will be protected in a high density polyethylene shell. Also,
forget polycarbonate (if you want to use it), it will shatter like glass at
-20 C, and -40 C for the high quality one.

Insulation is not my biggest concern, I will rather spend more time on other
problem such as the heating effect (Peltier Junctions?) between the
connection of the secondary and ground.

Right now, I am pondering over this: "Liquid oxygen is magnetic and is an
insulator (no eddy current). Will using liquid oxygen as core material
improve the coupling? And what about using an oudin coil to power an extra
coil?"

Ted