[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Water As Dielectric

From: 	Jim Lux[SMTP:jimlux-at-earthlink-dot-net]
Sent: 	Saturday, November 08, 1997 6:03 PM
To: 	Tesla List
Subject: 	Re: Water As Dielectric

>      What is water's dielectic strength? I did a search on the internet
for
> this value and the only thing I kept finding was it's dielectric
constant.

Water's dielectric strength, at DC, is zero. It is a conductor. However,
for very fast pulses, water is often used as the dielectric in transmission
lines or low inductance capacitors. The reason for this is that water is a
"slow" conductor, that is, it takes some time for the ions to migrate and
carry the current. For a pulse of less than a microsecond, there isn't
appreciable current flow.