[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Coil efficiency

From: 	richard hull[SMTP:rhull-at-richmond.infi-dot-net]
Sent: 	Friday, November 07, 1997 5:17 PM
To: 	Tesla List
Subject: 	Re: 100 meter sparks - 'Prodical Genius' book tells otherwi

snip

>  Efficiency is energy in vs energy out. A 10 KW TC at 96% efficiency is
>definitely better than a 60% efficiency coil and would give longer sparks
>regardless of the type.  If your are going to use TC efficiency correctly
>you should use controlled spark lengths or leave out the reference to
>efficiencies. A Figure of Merit could be used as this can have any specified
>meaning.
>
>  Comments welcomed.
>
>  John Couture

John,

I never refer to a tesla coils "energy efficiency" under any circumstance as
it is a meaningless figure to me. (even as an electronics engineer)  I
figure a tube coil might be a spark gap here or at least have a good shot at it.

I build coils for spark and spark alone.  This said, true tesla coil
efficiency is judged by energy in versus spark length out.

Richard Hull, TCBOR