[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Dump the RSG!

From: 	Charles Brush[SMTP:cfbrush-at-interport-dot-net]
Sent: 	Friday, November 07, 1997 8:24 AM
To: 	Tesla List
Subject: 	Re: Dump the RSG!

>  Jim -
>
>  We have replaced an RSG with a Jennings vacuum interrupter and it is
>giving superior performance. They are tricky to adjust but once adjusted
>require no further attention. There are no moving parts so there is no
>maintenance. These are standard electric utility switches and are sometimes
>available at surplus stores. Most people do not know what they are so they
>are sometimes a real bargin. A typical unit is only 2 1/2 " diam x 6 " long
>and cost $200 and up new. The rating is 34 KV, 10000 amps (momentary rating).
>
>  They will give you a dampened sine wave instead of a continuous sine wave
>like solid state devices. A dampened sine wave gives a higher voltage for
>the same energy and number of cycles compared to a continuous wave. They are
>an ideal replacement for an RSG. However, more experimenting for Tesla coil
>use is required.
>
>  John Couture

Hi John,

You mentioned that there were no moving parts.  Don't vacuum interrupters
used a moving electrode with an actuator assembly?  (there is a diagram of
one at  http://www.tic.toshiba-dot-com/html/vb4.html for those curious)  Do the
Jennings units use some different design?  I would have thought that a
typical vacuum interrupter with a moving electrode/actuator assembly would
provide a very slow rep rate due to inertia.  I am curous because I'd like
to try one myself if it's a viable altenative to a rotary in a smaller
coil!

Another question:  I've seen them in catalogs, but the highest amp rating
I've seen is about 600A, and that was for $800.  Is the 10kA rating you
mentioned some type of pulse rating?  Any info appreciated!

Zap!

Charles Brush
http://www.foundrygroup-dot-com/cbrush