[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: dielectric constants

From: 	Thomas McGahee[SMTP:tom_mcgahee-at-sigmais-dot-com]
Sent: 	Tuesday, November 04, 1997 7:07 AM
To: 	Tesla List
Subject: 	Re: dielectric constants

Kevin,
If there are additives in the oil, then the high readings may in fact be due to
conductance rather than capacitance. Some capacitance meters measure the ac
current flow, and any conductance is displayed as if it were capacitance. You
can check this out by paralleling the capacitor with a high value resistor
(100s of K to Megohms). If the capacitance read goes UP appreciably, then it is
affected by conductance. Use a digital OHM meter on its highest range and see
if the oil has any measureable conductance. If so, you have identified the
source of error.

Fr. Tom McGahee