[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Superconducting magnifier

From: 	Jim Lux[SMTP:jimlux-at-earthlink-dot-net]
Sent: 	Tuesday, November 04, 1997 10:13 AM
To: 	Tesla List
Subject: 	Re: Superconducting magnifier

> As I understand it the superconducting effect is destroyed by intense
> magnetic fields because they destroy the electron coupling. Since
> powerfull feilds are the aim in Tesla coils, I don't think that any sort
> of superconducting system could work, sorry to dash your hopes, but
> that's physics for you.

I don't think the magnetic field in a tesla coil would be high enough to
quench the superconductor.  Your problem would be constructing a dewar that
is insulating electrically for the voltage required, and will still hold
the LHe or LH2, and not pick up too much frost on the outside. Perhaps a
little creative glass blowing? And, as I recall, most LHe dewars have a
radiation baffle(s) inside as well as LN2 layers. I am not up on the latest
in LHe dewar technology though; with all the superconducting MRI's there
has been a lot of development on LHe cryostats and refrigerators.

However, submerging the tesla coil in LN2 might be interesting. LN2 is a
fairly good insulator, it is cheap ($.30/gal in large quantities, $2.00/gal
in small) and at 77K, the resistance of the copper windings will be very
low, so you should get real low losses and very high Q, which should give
you good performance.