[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Plans in 1969 Magazine

From: 	Alfred A. Skrocki[SMTP:alfred.skrocki-at-cybernetworking-dot-com]
Sent: 	Sunday, November 02, 1997 10:38 PM
To: 	Tesla List
Subject: 	Re: Plans in 1969 Magazine

On Sunay, November 02, 1997 7:21 PM Rod Clark
[SMTP:clarkr-at-MR.Net] wrote;

> I built a Tesla coil way back around 1969 or 1970.  It was a neon sign
> transformer driven, glass plate cap, spark gap type.  I think the
> magazine was called 'Electronic Experimenter's Handbook' or 'Radio
> Experimenter's Handbook'.  It could have been some other magazine.  I
> just don't recall.
> Does anyone know what the magazine might have been, and how I can get a
> copy of this article again?

Rod, around the time you mentioned Popular Elctronics did a pair of Tesla
coil articles entitled - 'Big TC' and 'Little TC' both articles also
appeared in the Popular Electronics annual compendium - 'Electronic
Eperimenter's Handbook'. Sorry to say both coils suffered all the mistakes
of that time period; secondary too long and thin and the use of too fine a
wire, too many turns in the primary and insufficient primary capacitance to
support any significant output, no top load capacitance and top
conudctor with soo small a raddius that it leaked off all the output to
corona rather than large discharges. I think the best output I've heard of
on one of those units was a 1 foot spark! By contrast I have a couple of
coils I've built using the same power input and much smaller seconadries
and they all easily put out 3 foot + discharges. It would be more to your
advantage to look in the list's archives for more current design
information. The URL is;  ftp://nic.funet.fi/pub/sci/electrical/tesla

                               Sincerely

                                \\\|///
                               (  -at- -at-  )
                           Alfred A. Skrocki
                   Alfred.Skrocki-at-CyberNetworking-dot-com
                             .ooo0   0ooo.
                               \_)   (_/