[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Dump the RSG!

From: 	gweaver[SMTP:gweaver-at-earthlink-dot-net]
Sent: 	Sunday, November 02, 1997 11:27 PM
To: 	Tesla List
Subject: 	Re: Dump the RSG!

I have been thinking the exact same thing.  I have also been straining my
brain trying to figure out how to build such a spark gap device.  Naturally
you will have to forget the cost because you can't build it for $100. unless
you have access to some free parts.  The next problem to deal with is the
high voltage.  I have 30 SCR's 600 VAC 400 AMPS and if I connect all in
series I get 18,000. volts.  Brake over voltage will make the SCR's conduct
during the half cycle and turn off during the other half cycle but the HV
feed back voltage will probably kill all the SCR's.  There are some tubes
available for HV but they won't handle the current, but I could put several
tubes in parallel and create a night mare spark gap.  A triode tube rated
10,000. volts 1 amps might do the trick. The power supply voltage will have
to be less than 10K or two tubes could be connected in series for 20K.  The
tubes can be set in cutoff and conduct only on the peak of the AC cycles.  A
properly sized capacitor on the screen grid might help to adjust the dwell
time.  Two tubes in series will have to have a battery power supply for the
heaters because the HV would arc threw transformers power supplies and fry
everything.  The TC would have to be sized to the power rating of the tube
or more tubes could be added in parallel to get more power.  The problem is,
the thing we need for this spark gap has not been invented yet. That didn't
stop Thomas Edison he just invented what ever he needed.

Gary Weaver