[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Please scrutinize my schematic :-)

From: 	Adam[SMTP:absmith-at-tiac-dot-net]
Sent: 	Monday, November 03, 1997 12:35 AM
To: 	tesla list; usa tesla
Subject: 	Please scrutinize my schematic :-)

Here is the proposed design for my next coil (already in the making).  I
would simply like suggestions for improvements, and for experienced list
members to point out possible faults in my plans.  Below is the ASCII
Schematic.  If luck is on my side today, the initials along the bottom of
the picture should line up vertically with the corresponding component.
Here it goes:

                                                             _____
                                                            (_____)
                                         _____       ||        (
    _______                 _____________OOOOO_______||___     (
120VAC   ||(     |    ) || (____o___|_____       o        )    (
   |_______|_____|____|    |____|___|____OOOOO___|________|   _|_
           |                                                  ///
          gnd

       Variac   PFC			 Neon				SG1  Byp.  RFC   SG2   C  Pri  Sec

120VAC = Hot and Neutral of the AC mains supply (From an outlet)
gnd    = Connection of variac casing to "3rd Prong" AC house ground.
Variac = 1kVA Superior Electric Model 116
PFC    = Power Factor Correction Capacitor, 100uF -at- 600VAC
Neon   = 12kV 60mA G.E. Sign Transformer
SG1    = Safety Gap, center electrode to RF Ground, 0.25" per side.
Byp				= Bypass Caps, Each 500pF Rolled Al foil & 90 mil LDPE
RFC    = RF Choke, 15t #12 wire on a ferrite core.  mH unknown.
SG2    = Main Spark gap, seven 0.03" gaps in series, fan quenched.
C      = Main Cap, Al/LDPE/Oil flatplate 0.025uF + Has 1" safety gap!!
Pri    = Flat spiral, 10 turns 1/4" Cu tubing, i.d. 12", o.d. 24" 60uH?
Sec    = 25" of 750 close wound turns #20 on urethaned 8" Sonotube
         Current Toroid = 4" x 24" Al Ducting
_|_    = RF Ground, proposed as five 8 foot 3/4" dia copper tubes
///      speared vertically into the earth and moistened with saltwater.

So, WHAT'S MISSING?  What have I forgotten, anything?

I realize that I have not included all the juicy details here, partialy
because I have not finalized the design of many of the individual circuit
elements.

Future modifications include:  Larger variac, 12kV 120mA-150mA worth of
neon xformer.  I hope for this to better charge the 0.025uF caps.

Someone else suggested line filters.  What are these, and where do I
connect them?  Between the Variac and the PFC??? In reverse???

Please help, so that I may live to build my next coil.  My first
objective is 100% safety, my second objective is a big spark.

Thanks for listening,

-Adam

Adam Smith
absmith-at-tiac-dot-net