[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Superconducting magnifier

From: 	Ted[SMTP:tedric-at-generation-dot-net]
Sent: 	Sunday, November 02, 1997 4:30 PM
To: 	tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: 	Superconducting magnifier

Hi,

I am new to this list, and would like to know is there any coiler lives
around Montreal?
Also, what about building a superconducting magnifier? I have this thought
for very long time, but if someone proposed it already, please don't flame
me tough, instead tell me who that it or where I can find more information
(check Geogre Trinkaus's Tesla The Lost Invention on p.10) about it.

 With today's superconductor, the price is dropping and the critical
temperature is rising to dry ice range(and over). Using film deposit
technology, no more labour intensive winding will be nesecsary, also higher
field density can be achieved. So what do you think about it?

The primary and secondary can be insulated in liquid nitrogen, the
evaporated nitrogen can be used to quench spark gaps and lowers its
temperature. Liquid nitrogen costs pratically nothing, and will last for
days in a thermos. (I believe) Almost infinite amount of current can float
in the secondany with zero impedance as long as it is tuned. Mind you,
superconductor does have its limits: Critical current per unit area and
critical magnetic field (as I remember). Forunately, they are still much
higher than conventional conductor. Just take five minutes to think about
the possiblity! True PRACTICAL superconductor was not available to Tesla,
but we now have the technology, so grasp the opportunity! Maybe YOU will be
the one that brings tesla coiling in to a new era!

One more thing: According to Tesla, rarefied gas shows excellent
conductivity for high frequency electrical current, maybe even better than
copper! Noble gases are even better. Why not evacuated the air in the
primary then fill the tube with helium (and seal it afterward, of coarse). A
(big) tank of compressed helium cost as little as $21 CAD or $15 USD, so why
not give it a try and share the results with us.

Ted