[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: primarys

From: 	ghunter-at-mail.enterprise-dot-net[SMTP:ghunter-at-mail.enterprise-dot-net]
Sent: 	Sunday, November 02, 1997 1:04 PM
To: 	Tesla List
Subject: 	Re: primarys

Chris,

I used #8 Aluminum wire on the primary of my first coil (1975!).  I
made a perfect helix by winding it on a glass Coleman lantern globe.
It worked fine, and I didn't need any glue.  I just formed the coil
on something a little smaller in diameter than the lantern globe so
that it would be a bit too small, and then pulled it over the globe
like a sock.  It fit snug & never slipped. The glass also blocked any
primary/secondary arc-over.  The helix doesn't need to be perfect, as
long as it doesn't have any shorted turns. Replacement lamp globes
are available at Wal-Mart for very little $.

Greg