[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Cheap vacuum pump

From: 	Julian Green[SMTP:julian-at-kbss.bt.co.uk]
Sent: 	Friday, October 31, 1997 8:59 AM
To: 	tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: 	Re: Cheap vacuum pump

I can second that, go down to the local scrap yard with a hack saw, find a fridge
and remove the pump.   Dont forget to get the motor starter gear.

The need for vacuum oil is not as necessary as it sounds, and is quite expensive.
The oil to use is a light grade oil (like transformer machine oil) but it needs
to be de-gased.  I believe this can be done by boiling it.

If you are in doubt about the oil then use it anyway, and perform a vacuum test
on the oil.  Put some in a glass jar (not a big one else implosion may result)
and connect it up to the vacuum pump.   Evacuate the jar and if the oil fizzes up
its not de-gassed and will more boiling.

If you use the same oil in your cap and vacuum pump then it does not matter if
some of the coil from the cap finds its way into the vacuum pump.  This happened
to me when I did my caps as air from the cap generated so many bubbles
that it filled the cavity at the top of the cap and into the pump it went.

Do not put motor oil in the pump it is too viscous and will prevent the pump
starting when it is cold.

Julian Green