[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Looking for Coilers in my area!

Subject:    Re: Looking for Coilers in my area!
      Date: Sat, 31 May 1997 21:26:07 +1000
      From: Peter Electric <elekessy-at-macquarie.matra-dot-com.au>
        To: Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>

Tesla List wrote:

> Subject:       Re: Looking for Coilers in my area!
>        Date:   Fri, 30 May 1997 16:30:34 -0400
>        From:   Tom Heiber <theiber-at-lonet.ca>
>          To:   Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
>

> > > BTW. I can't find any HV commercial caps. And I called about
> > > Polyethylene it was $90 for one 1/8" 10'x48"
> > > sheet. I was thinking of making salt-water caps but I figured about 20
> > > bottles of beer before I can get the required capacitance. What do you
> > > think?
> > >
> > > BTW2. Is there a way I can contact you other way than e-mail?
> > >

> > > Tom Heiber
> > >

> > Tom, I just bought a 4 ft by 8 ft sheet of 1/8 inch poly for less
> > than $34.00.  $90 is way too high!  Keep checking with some other
> > major plastics companies.
> >
> > Bert Pool
> > bertpool-at-flash-dot-net
>
> Unfortunatly Out here in London there aren't many companies who make
> plastics. They most likely order them in or somthing...I am still
> looking :)
>
> Tom Heiber
> theiber-at-lonet.ca

The experienced guys will probably shoot me down in flames but I made my
rolled cap out of black plastic sheet that is commonly used as a
condensation barrier under concrete slabs. It is dirt cheap,
Polyethylene (I think) and is .2 mm or about 8 mil thick so you need
Quite a few layers. I think from memory I used 5 layers between 4 plates
giving me two caps in series and a total of .015uF. Rolling the whole
lot up is a bit of a challenge but I have been running this in 20W40
engine oil with 15KV for several months now with no problems.

Cheers,

Peter E.