[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RE- Would this cap work

Subject:      RE- Would this cap work
       Date:  Fri, 30 May 1997 17:01:19 GMT
       From:  robert.michaels-at-online.sme-dot-org (Robert Michaels)
         To:  tesla-at-pupman-dot-com

        Yes.  No.  Maybe - for a while.

        You idea would make a workable but inadvisable capacitor.
        (I would suggest that the wire contacting the in-tubing brine
        be made to run the entire length of the tubing).

        This type of capacitor  =will=  develop heat and possibly
        gas.  Sealing it is highly inadvisable.

        Quite some length would be required to get much capacitance.
        Coiling up the excess length doesn't strike me as such a hot
        idea in Tesla service.  You would have a capacitor with appre-
        ciable distributed inductance.

                Maybe you could make a Tesla primary with the
                primary winding and the capacitor being one and
                the same?  (Don't ask me how you would tune it!)

                                        Discharging, in --
                                        Detroit, USA

                                        Robert Michaels

 [ ... ]
-> Would it not be possible to take a length of polyethylene (or other
-> appropriate material) tubing, carefully seal off one end, fill with
-> brine,
-> seal the other end around one terminal (with a bit of, say Cu wire,
-> extending into the brine), and then immerse this length into a brine
-> bath
-> containing the opposite terminal?  This tubing could be arranged in a
-> spiral or zig-zag such that you effectively have your two plates.

 [ ... ]