[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Power (II)

Subject:  Power (II)
  Date:   Fri, 30 May 97 08:53:57 EDT
  From:   pierson-at-ggone.ENET.dec-dot-com

>        Even in the case of radio transmitters, which are much
>        more sedate than any disruptive Tesla coil, it is hard
>        to know the actual rf power in the tank circuit.
        With modern instrumentation ($$) its relatively trivial.
        Measuring this in s Tesla type system IS a challenge.

>        For this reason, the FCC defines radio transmitter
>        power as the dc power input to the final amplifier
>        stage and lets it go at that.
        When they established the rules, decades ago.  ALSO, the
        output power WILL BE less than this, so its a 'safe'
        approximation,  (from one point of view).

>        Measure the input voltage and current to the Tesla coil
>        power transformer (neon, OBIT, pig, etc.) and let it go
>        at that.
        Respectfully disagree.
        Primary design, Secondary design (wire ga), GAP DESIGN and
        CAP DESIGN all critically effect how much of the 'input power'
        get turned into 'output'.  (lets not start on wqhat the
        'output' is.  8)>>).

        There have been several exceelent descriptions and measurements
        of more efficient (long sparks, low input power) coils.
        (I would hate to see the list degenerate to 'my coils better
        than yours, yaddayaddayadda, but soem ARE better users of
        power.)

>       Secondary Wire Ga.  ...40 mA....
        Welllll.  Sorta.  IF its just an RF transformer.  I KNOW some
        folk have measured the baase currents.  Wha were they?

        Also, the secondary _efficiency_ arguably matters more than
        'just enough wire to carry the current'.

        regards
        dwp