[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Arc Transmitter

Subject: Re: Arc Transmitter
  Date:  Wed, 28 May 1997 22:19:17 -0700
  From:  "Norman F. Stanley" <nfs-at-midcoast-dot-com>
    To:  Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>

>At 12:38 AM 5/11/97 -0500, I recklessly wrote:
>>Subject:  Re: Arc Transmitter
>>  Date:   Sat, 10 May 1997 21:48:20 -0700
>>  From:   "Norman F. Stanley" <nfs-at-midcoast-dot-com>
>>    To:    Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
>>

>>This was known as the "singing arc" and, as I recall, consisted of a
>>carbon
>>arc and tank circuit.  With the arc operating in air it was limited to
>>audio frequencies, hence the name.  By enclosing the arc in a hydrogen
>>or
>>gaseous hydrocarbon atmosphere the frequency could be extended into the
>>long wave radio spectrum, and I believe this was used in commercial CW
>>transmitters way back when.  An brief item in the Q&A column in one of
>>the
>>Gernsback magazines, "Everyday Science and Mechanics", back in the
>>thirties
>>showed a practical circuit.  I happen to have a complete file of that
>>publication, and will see if I can locate the circuit for you.
>>
>>Norm
>
>I've located the article I mentioned.  It was entitled "Experiments with
>'Singing Arc' and Tesla coil" and was by a German author, W. Moeller.
>It was published in the June 1933 issue of Everyday Science and
>Mechanics
>(p. 686).  Several practical circuits were illustrated, including
>excitation
>of a small Tesla coil by applying the output of the arc oscillator to
>the
>primary, or directly to the secondary.
>
>If anyone is interested in seeing this article, send me E-Mail, and I'll
>try
>to get it scanned and post the file.
>
>Norm

I haven't been able to get a readable scan of the above article for
posting
to Tesla List.  The fine print becomes illegible, and attempting to
enlarge
it seems to interfere with column separation.  What I will do is send a
photocopy to anyone on receipt of an SASE.  If someone wants to try
scanning the copy, go to it.

Norman F. Stanley
P. O. Box 723
Rockland, ME 04841