[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Need help with spark Gaps

Subject:  Re: Need help with spark Gaps
  Date:   Thu, 29 May 1997 13:35:09 -0400 (EDT)
  From:  Esondrmn-at-aol-dot-com
    To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com

-snip-

<<
 I thought of building a rotary but some of the previous posts suggested
 that these were not good on Neon sign trannies. Does this
reccomendation
 hold for synchronous gaps as well?

 Should I go for a multiple gap system (ala cylinder.txt) with a muffin
 fan, and if so, how many gaps should I use and how large?

 Cheers,

 Peter E.

Peter,

I built two of the Richard Quick style cylinder gaps and they work
great.  I
believe I built mine in 6" pvc pipe using seven 1.0" (might be 1.5") dia
copper pipe sections which results in six gaps.  Be sure to epoxy the
brass
bolts and copper tubes in place.  Use bolts long enough so you can make
external connection to each pipe section.  It will be useful later
someday as
you can then change the number of gaps in use by just moving the wires
to tap
different sections.  Some people have reported that their gap spacing
has
changed over time, maybe due to the pvc distorting.  I bought heavy pvc
end
caps and cut the center out on the lathe to mount the fan.  The heavy
end cap
should help the pipe keep its shape.

I have used these gaps at 12 kv, 120 ma with no problem.

Ed Sonderman