[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Looking for Coilers in my area!

Subject:  Re: Looking for Coilers in my area!
  Date:  Wed, 28 May 1997 10:50:00 -0500
  From:  "Robert W. Stephens" <rwstephens-at-headwaters-dot-com>
    To:  Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>

> > > Any hints that you could give me?
> > >
> > > Tom
> > >

> > Tom,
> >
> > With a commercial capacitor you can make a pretty darn' excitin' first
> > Tesla coil with a 12 kV-at-60 mA neon.  My best advice is to stay tuned
> > to this list, it is an excellent resource and way of meeting smart
> > individuals with similar interests.  Equally good advice is to come
> > visit my lab.
> > I have a number of coils of various forms, one early developmental unit
> > that
> > achieved 18 foot streamers first time out (only time so far).  At any
> > given moment I can put on a good show with several of something type
> > coils. My new twin system has been a real visitor pleaser of late.  I've
> > got plenty
> > of free parking, and admission is still free too to fellow coilers,  but
> > by
> > appointment only.
> >
> > rwstephens
>

> Hey. I'll give you a buzz if i get to go in that direction :)
>
> BTW. I can't find any HV commercial caps. And I called about
> Polyethylene it was $90 for one 1/8" 10'x48"
> sheet. I was thinking of making salt-water caps but I figured about 20
> bottles of beer before I can get the required capacitance. What do you
> think?
>
> BTW2. Is there a way I can contact you other way than e-mail?
>

> Tom Heiber

Tom,

HV capacitors suitable for Tesla coil service are one of the hardest
items to find at the regular surplus sources.  There are lots of HV
caps around, but most are totally unsuitable, or poor performers.
This has created the widespread interest in 'rolling yer' own'.

Cadillac Plastics in Toronto will sell you a 4X8 foot sheet of
natural colored polypropelene (milky white) in 0.060 inch thickness for
about
24  Canadian bucks + tax.  I bought some for trying homemade rolled
caps when I got started in coiling a couple of years ago and one I
got it home I found it was way too stiff to roll.  It would be fine
for flat plate caps however.  Check with Cadillac for the same size
sheets in polyethylene.  Should be about the same price.

I can be reached at my company line at 1-519-925-1771.  You will
likely get the annonymous answering machine.  Please leave a message
with your phone number and I will return your call.

rwstephens