[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Winding Directions.

Subject:  Re: Winding Directions.
  Date:   Mon, 26 May 1997 09:48:38 -0400 (EDT)
  From:   Bob Schumann <tesla-at-america-dot-com>
    To:   Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>

At 06:57 PM 5/25/97 -0500, you wrote:
>Subject:      Winding Directions.
>       Date:  Fri, 23 May 1997 20:41:46 -0400
>       From:  Tom Heiber <theiber-at-lonet.ca>
>         To:  Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
>

>Before I start. I'd like to thank all people who helped me solve my
>problems with TC's. Some ideas worked some not but I appreciate all
>input.
>
>I just have a quick question. I have built the TC secondary and I am
>using a flat spiral primary. I am just wondering whether the direction
>of winding the wire (clockwise, counter-clockwise) matters. And wheter
>ground should be connected on the inner, or outer ending.
>
>Tom Heiber

Tom,
        I was also in question of the direction of the winding of coils.
There were
strange things to consider that I have seen posted on this list that
were easily
disputed. You can take a cylindrical Tesla secondary, determine its wind
direction, turn the coil upside down, and the wind direction stays the
same.
You can take a flat pancake primary, determine its wind, turn it upside
down
and the direction changes. I initially chose to winding my coils in the
direction
that water naturally flowed down the drain in my geographical location.
This
was a good thought but did not amout to a hill of beans in the coil's
outcome.
My final verdict was that is makes no difference in what direction that
the
primary AND/OR secondary coils were wound in. The only time that it
became a factor was when I was calculating mutual inductance for solving
the coefficient of coupling did I notice that the direction of wind for
the
primary and secondary were responsible for the measurments of
'fields aiding' and 'fields opposing' in the mutual inductance formula.
As for the ground, it is most common to place the ground at the center
of the primary where the inductance is least though I am sure it could
work with reverse connections. Its easier to tune further out on the
coil
than further in. Also, if you are using a neon sign transformer with a
mid point ground then NO end of the primary is hooked to ground.

Bob Schumann