[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Sea of Charge

Subject: Sea of Charge
  Date:  Mon, 19 May 1997 21:25:48 -0500 (CDT)
  From:  rwall-at-ix-dot-netcom-dot-com (Richard Wayne Wall)
    To:  Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>

5/19/97

No one on this earth knows what charge really is.  We may be able to
observe how it interacts and behaves with like and opposite charges,
but we don't have the faintest idea about its structure, where it
arises or where it resides.  At one time we thought it only came in two
polarities and was unitary.  Now it seems that it also comes in
rational fractions, such as 2/3 in quarks.  Soon it may assume
irrational fractions, but we digress.

One thing is for sure - the universe is awash in a sea of charge.  Even
the vacuum of space is a dielectric with its characteristic of
permittivity and is capable manifesting charge.  Generally, when we
observe a body to have neutral charge we can only say that there are
equal numbers of positive and negative charges.  A body may contain
only 10^1 equal positive and negative charges or 10^1,000,000 equal
positive and negative charges -- both are electrostatically neutral.

So too, with an imbalance of positive and negative charges on a body.
An electrostatically "charged" body may be detected with its polarity
and magnitude representing the excess of either charge polarity.  Rest
assured both charges polarities are present, but only one polarity is
in excess and macroscopic electrostatic potential represents that
charge polarity.

When a TC imparts an electrostatic charge on a body, it does so with
both charge polarities.  When excess of one polarity is deposited, then
a "charge" of one polarity or the other may be detected.  Geometric and
frequency variables are in large part responsible for TC nonlocal
charge accumulation on other bodies.  As has amply been demonstrated by
more than one experimenter, either polarity of charge excess may be
detected in these systems.  Polarity is immaterial.  The important
significance is a TC may nonlocally deposit an electrostatic charge on
another distant body.  The mechanism is the same and commonly
understood charge carriers are not involved.

RWW