[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Transformer

Subject:  Re: Transformer
  Date:   Mon, 19 May 1997 22:28:14 +1000 (EST)
  From:   Rodney Davies <rgd872-at-anu.edu.au>
    To:   Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>

Hi Peter,

> In Aust. here we are very much over-regulated, electrically speaking. We
> are not allowed to wire anything in to the mains supply unless we are
> licensed electricians, and things like "pole pigs" as you call them are
> very rare to get hold of here and very difficult to use without the
> Power co. getting excited and turning of the power!

That is so true... However, I managed to get a SWER from the FNQEB in
Cairns, 10KVA 12.5KV...but the windings were stuffed. So in Brisbane
(where I live now) there's a company in Milton who make them and were
quite happy to sell me one, although, I was purchasing under a business
name.

Only solution I can think of at this time is, borrow a welder off
someone
that needs 3-phase 415v -at- 30amps/phase, then get the electrical mob to
install a 3-phase outlet....

>From here, the phrase "what they don't know won't hurt them" comes to
mind...

Although, there's one other possiblity, but if you're not sure on what
you're doing it's lethal....
see if you can take a tapping from the bus-bars that
are the 30Amp 240V which supply power to the stove and to the hot-water
system.... Banking neons shouldn't be too much of a problem, just ensure
you're using 30Amp 240V cable...(or better).

I can relate to your problems well, I had so much trouble with the FNQEB
few years ago when I was building TC's at high school. It was so bad
that
the dispute went all the way down to Brisbane to the Queensland
Electrical
Commission.... funny enough, when I said that "Hey, I won't do this
anymore" they seemed to stop pestering me...
But of course, that didn't stop me...

(Sort of) nice to know someone else is having the same problems in
Aust...
:-)

-- My 2.5cents worth...

Catchya!