[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Interesting Cap Design

Subject:  Interesting Cap Design
  Date:   Sun, 18 May 1997 11:22:18 -0400 (EDT)
  From:   Rscopper-at-aol-dot-com
    To:   tesla-at-pupman-dot-com

It works!

350 Philips 4.7uf 100V NP metal film caps (just happened to have a box
of
500) soldered together in series.  I used this cap in series with one of
the
rolled caps and kept both from smokin' .  Here's how I constructed it:

1)  Solder 10 in series and cut the joints down to about 1/4 inch.  If
you
keep the connections too close you don't have any room for repair when 1
smokes.  Make 35 of these strips.

2) Lay all the strips down on some duct tape next to each other and
solder
staggered ends together so that all the caps are in series.

3) Here's the hard part..and a helper is useful...lift the stack in the
middle and stuff a 3 inch dia. cardboard (or whatever) tube under stack.
 Then roll all the sections around the tube such that the solder joints
are
all poking out the sides.  Secure all with a couple of long wire ties.

4) Put 0.25 inch of insulating material between the two layers at the
ends to
keep from arcing.  I used 1 inch strips of poly left over from the
rolled
caps.

5) Solder HV wire to ends (should be at top on either side of the poly).

6) Dab hot glue on each solder joint for two strips on either side of
the
poly.

7) The assembled unit slides nicely into the same 6 inch PVC cap tank as
the
rolled ones.

8) Fill with oil.

One note, however, if one or more of the caps smoke  repair is easy, but
when
you pull the assembly out of the oil, take a sheet of foil and wrap
around to
discharge as many single caps as you can (the ones with hot glue on the
connections won't be though).

So far two weeks in service without smoking any caps!

Scott C.