[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Reduceing noise

Subject:     Re: Reduceing noise
      Date:  Sat, 17 May 1997 21:12:20 +1000
      From:  Peter Electric <elekessy-at-macquarie.matra-dot-com.au>
        To:  Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>

Tesla List wrote:

> Subject: Re: Reduceing noise
>   Date: Fri, 16 May 1997 23:18:51 +0500
>   From: "Alfred A. Skrocki" <alfred.skrocki-at-cybernetworking-dot-com>
>     To: Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
>
> On Thu, 15 May 1997 09:04:39 -0500 David Huffman
> <huffman-at-FNAL.GOV> wrote;
>
> > snip
> > The first big coil I saw surprised the hell out of me. The spark gap
> > is quiet compared to what comes off the top. Am I right, am I wrong?
> > The gap certainly changes sound with coil tuning.
>
> David, how big was this coil? I've seen coils up to eight feet tall
> with 12 foot discharges and in all of them the spark gap was louder
> than the secondary discharge.
>

>                                Sincerely
>
>                                 \\\|///
>                               \\  ~ ~  //
>                                (  -at- -at-  )
>                         -----o00o-(_)-o00o-----
>                            Alfred A. Skrocki
>                    alfred.skrocki-at-cybernetworking-dot-com
>                              .ooo0   0ooo.
>                         -----(   )---(   )-----
>                               \ (     ) /
>                                \_)   (_/

In my (less than extensive!) experience as a coiler, I would have to say
that the noise of the discharge is louder that the Spark gap.

I went to a lot of trouble sound proofing my SG, I completely covered it
with 4" PVC and I left a small hole for the compressed air to get out. I
was rather pissed off when I discovered I still had to wear my earmuffs!
By the way it has only a 3 1/2" secondary and I am getting about 30"
sparks so I guess you guys would hardly put it in the big league!
I also noticed the sound level changes dramatically with primary coil
tuning.

Cheers,

Peter E.