[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Capacitor corona

Subject: Re: Capacitor corona
  Date: Tue, 13 May 1997 15:42:43 -0400
  From: "Thomas McGahee" <tom_mcgahee-at-sigmais-dot-com>
    To: "Tesla List" <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>

----------
> From: Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
> To: tesla-at-poodle.pupman-dot-com
> Subject: Capacitor corona
> Date: Tuesday, May 13, 1997 1:51 AM
>
> Subject:  Capacitor corona
>   Date:   Mon, 12 May 1997 16:27:06 -0500
>   From:   David Huffman <huffman-at-FNAL.GOV>
>     To:   Tesla List <tesla-at-poodle.pupman-dot-com>
>

> Hi Group,
> I want to build a multisectioned capacitor so corona on each
section
> is minimized. If there are enough sections could the oil
impregnation
> be eliminated? What voltage level starts to become a problem with
> corona?
> Dave Huffman

Dave,
If you put in enough sections you can indeed eliminate the need for
the oil. I have never seen a "dry" capacitor that was rated above 1KV
*AC*, unless the capacitor was sealed mica or ceramic. Above that
level all the ones I have here in my shop are oil filled.

Remember that the oil does more than just prevent corona. It prevents
losses due to moisture, and actually dissolves some of the gases that
are produced, allowing them to be carried away from the plates.

I have sent a post to the Tesla list today entitled "Multi-Roll Cap"
that details the construction of a single ROLLED *multi-section*
capacitor. Up to you if you choose to oil immerse it or not.