[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Weekend experiment on small coil

Subject:  Re: Weekend experiment on small coil
   Date:  Tue, 13 May 1997 02:36:22
+0500                                  From:  "Alfred A. Skrocki"
<alfred.skrocki-at-cybernetworking-dot-com>
     To:  Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>

On Mon, 12 May 1997 09:47:39 -0500 David Huffman
<huffman-at-FNAL.GOV> wrote;

> Hi Group,
> Here is my weekend experiment.
> Secondary coil 1.5" dia 4.5" long 24Ga magnet wire, approx. 200 turns
> with an inductance of 475uH. Using a 4"X16" toroid for a top load
> Csec= 18pF, Fres=1.7MHz. I used 5.6pF ceramic caps and about two
> turns of 3/16" Cu tubing with a 12KV-at-60mA neon. Best streamer
> discharge was 5-6".
> Some things that happened.
> ...The streamers were more singular and flame like in appearance (not as
> forked) and blue to violet in color.

This is similar to what I have observed in coils running at the
higher frequencies, as the frequency goes up it seems there is less
tendence for the sparks to fork and the discharge looks more and more
like a luminous discharge. I also notice that the spark length seems
to decrease at the higher frequencies even when the voltage appears
to be the same.

                               Sincerely

                                \\\|///
                               (  -at- -at-  )
                           Alfred A. Skrocki
                   alfred.skrocki-at-cybernetworking-dot-com
                             .ooo0   0ooo.
                               \_)   (_/