[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: spark length vs toroid diameter

Subject: Re: spark length vs toroid diameter
  Date:  Tue, 13 May 1997 00:54:10 -0400 (EDT)
  From:  richard hull <rhull-at-richmond.infi-dot-net>
    To:  Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>

At 12:16 AM 5/12/97 -0500, you wrote:
>Subject:     Re: spark length vs toroid diameter
>      Date:  Sun, 11 May 1997 19:26:47 -0800
>      From:  Greg Leyh <lod-at-pacbell-dot-net>
>        To:  Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
>

>richard hull wrote:
>
>> 3.  Once the streamer leaves the toroid, the energy is in the bolt.  Its
>> wad
>> is shot until next blast from the gap.  If regualr enough and of
>> sufficient
>> energy, the spark grows out farther based on the toroidial energy store.
>

>Are you saying here that the stored electrical energy in the top
>capacitance is more important than the breakout voltage rating?
>
>I wonder what would happen if I just simply loaded my secondary
>with a physical capacitor, say about 150 pF or so?
>
>-GL
>
>Greg.

No!  The max voltage is limited by the shape and size of any top
terminal
load. This doesn't mean it can "make" voltage that the resonator can't
supply through poor design (low inductance)  The increased capacitance
of
the the larger terminals just adds to the spark's energy and this adds
up to
air piercing power.  I don't believe for one minute that a coil with X
voltage as a resonant rise item could punch out as far with no top load
at
the same power as one with a large load.  The energy stored in the top
terminal at any voltage does the punching.  This punching is always much
farther into the surrounding air than the naked resonator rise would be
capable of.

Richard Hull, TCBOR