[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Golka coil specs

Subject:   Re: Golka coil specs
  Date:    Fri, 9 May 1997 00:49:52 -0400 (EDT)
  From:    richard hull <rhull-at-richmond.infi-dot-net>
    To:    Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>

At 08:06 PM 5/8/97 -0500, you wrote:
>Subject:      Re: Golka coil specs
>       Date:  Fri, 9 May 1997 08:27:25 +1200
>       From:  "Malcolm Watts" <MALCOLM-at-directorate.wnp.ac.nz>
>         To:  tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
>

>Hello all,
>            Here are some specs on one of Robert Golka's versions of
>Tesla's magnifier.
>
>Cp : 0.2uF
>Lp : 1 turn, 51ft diameter
>
>Believe it or not, they say the primary is resonating at 30kHz (a
>mile off what the extra coil is resonating at). It says the two
>frequencies are pulled together by the high mutual coupling. At a
>glance this seems to be a classic case of tuning the primary to the
>lower beat frequency.
>
>Secondary:
>-  51ft diameter
>-  total height of secondary and primary about 8 ft
>-  Ns = 26 turns
>
>Transmission line to extra coil about 50 ft
>
>Extra Coil:
>- 8ft x 8ft
>- Nt = 100 turns
>- topload: almost none (bulk of capacitance is Cself)
>- Fr claimed to be 50kHz
>
>Gap system: rotary break wheel in series with quench gap
>The rotary is made up of a number of wheels looking like saw blades
>and hooked in parallel. It is claimed they have used breaks in excess
>of 4k/second.
>
>Vc about 44kV (not sure whether that's RMS or peak). It says on the
>diagram that Cp is rated at 50kV !!??
>
>Power input: 160kVA
>
>There is a circuit diagram on the next page which shows an ESR in the
>primary tank using an ordinary resistor symbol. I think the spark
>characteristics have been completely overlooked by many researchers
>and are a real key to the way both the primary and secondary behave.
>It may be that this is the missing link in analyses attempting to
>model running conditions.
>
>    The claim is made that the coil has produced 25MV on occasions but
>I personally doubt that. A sanity check says that the discharge length
>(said to be in excess of 40') suggests around 600kV/foot which seems
>completely out of this world to me. Also, there is no explanation as
>to why the coil doesn't spark straight from top to bottom with those
>kinds of voltages. They do say that the mag fied from the coil throws
>the sparks out and away which is probably true. I think things we now
>know about streamer formation and lengthening have completely
>nullified those claims. It is claimed that these things were
>measured, but no tables are published - in short, suspicious.
>
>    This looks pretty much like the final version of Tesla's original
>machine. Time to get the spreadsheets busy.
>
>Malcolm

Malcom,

Thanks for beating me to the post!  That should help Bert Pool.  Golka
did
use 2 turns in the primary late in his stay at Wendover and then again
in
Colorado in the system's last gasp incarnation at Leadville.

I have several video tapes of Golka's system in action and have
interpolated
from prints take from the best video still frames and he was getting up
30 foot sparks probably more.  The reason he got them was the structure
of
the ceiling girder work attracted the sparks.  Sort of an optimum height
attractor.  With a Toroid of proper proportions the system would have
been
awesome.

 We also have some closeups of his metering and in one run we calculate
200KVA from the meters.  I still say he is the guy to beat for world
record
setting sparks.  Unfortunately his approach was rather monkey see,
monkey
do.  (Mimed Teslas 1899 system very closely.)  His efficiency seems
awfully
low to say the least.

Richard Hull, TCBOR