[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: H.V. Transformers

Subject:  Re: H.V. Transformers
  Date:  Thu, 8 May 1997 00:55:43 +0500
  From:  "Alfred A. Skrocki" <alfred.skrocki-at-cybernetworking-dot-com>
    To:  Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>

On Tue, 06 May 1997 06:39:27 -0400 Daryl P. Dacko
<mycrump-at-cris-dot-com> wrote;

> I've always used oil burner transformers for my tesla coils, as they
> are much more available here than neon sign transformers.
>
> I'd have to disagree about the indestructible part though. My last
> coil used a bank of six of these in parellel, and after several hours
> of operation, they started to fail, due I beleve to carbon tracking
> inside the case.
>
> This was back before this list, where I learned about chokes and safety
> gaps and such...
>
> I beleve I could have extended the life a great deal with chokes and
> extened the performance a whole lot more with what I've leared here !

Hi Daryl, I did say "practically". <G> Seriously, I know the oil
burner transformers are prone to carbon tracking, ect. like neon
sign transformers, but the oil burner transformers seem to be able to
be overworked more than the neon transformers and still survive. I
don't know if oil burner transformers will respond to cooking as
nicely as the neon sign transformers, if they do then the treatement
for carbon tracking in neon sign transformers may work with the oil
burner transformers too.

Microwave oven transformers are being used for Tesla coils too, But
they are not as convienient with outputs of around 2,500 volts at
1/4 amp to 1 amp typicaly. I've played with them a bit but their kind
of discuraging because it is very difficult to open their cores so
rewinding the secondaries is not as easy as it seems and stacking
them in series only invites breakdown.

                               Sincerely

                                \\\|///
                               (  -at- -at-  )
                           Alfred A. Skrocki
                   alfred.skrocki-at-cybernetworking-dot-com
                             .ooo0   0ooo.
                               \_)   (_/