[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: nother Blown Fuse

Subject:       Re: nother Blown Fuse
      Date:    Thu, 08 May 1997 01:06:54 GMT
      From:    jim.fosse-at-bjt-dot-net (Jim Fosse)
        To:    Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>

On Wed, 07 May 1997 00:08:02 -0500, Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>, you
wrote:

>Subject:     Another Blown Fuse
>      Date:  Tue, 06 May 1997 06:54:21 -0500
>      From:  Chuck Curran <ccurran-at-execpc-dot-com>
>        To: Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
>

>Hello All:
>        Well, I fired up my new coil again Sunday night with the same
>results,
>blown fuses just as spark breaks out.  These fuses control the rotary
>motor(the motor draws 9.5 amps under full load) and the vacuum gap motor
>with the same current draw.  The system works fine until I start to get
>spark, but then I must be getting enough EMI to create a problem.
[snip]
Chuck,
        Do you have the rotary fan motors' chassis grounded? You may
be picking up RFI from their cases if you don't.

        Do you have any PFC caps between your pig's ballast and the
power mains? The PFC will help suppress the 60Hz spikes from your
inductive ballast that the RFI filters won't touch.  These spikes may
be causing enough current (or small arcs) that are blowing your fuses.
When I was doing my ballasting experiments last year, I blew out 2
electronic light switches inside my house that were on different
circuits than my TC and the output leg of the RFI filter that was
connected to my ballast.  Once I put in a 30uF (value question here)
PFC cap across the 220V mains, I stopped blowing electronics in my
house and the 600V RFI filters. I had the 2 high current RFI filters
in series with the 220V input line in all cases.

Look for a 600V motor start cap, a PFC cap from a neon or xenon
transformer and connect it line-to-line across the 220V.

        Good Luck,

        jim