[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RE: RE measuring inductance

Subject:       RE: RE measuring inductance
       Date:   Wed, 7 May 1997 08:04:53 +1200
       From:  "Malcolm Watts" <MALCOLM-at-directorate.wnp.ac.nz>
         To:   tesla-at-pupman-dot-com

Hi all,
         Here's some workbench experience to add to this....

>   From:  "William Noble" <William_B_Noble-at-msn-dot-com>
>     To:  "Tesla List" <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
>

> Your comment about 2 volts is suspicious - LED's are diodes which emit
> when
> forward biased - depending on the LED, there will be one or more
> "standard"
> diode drops in the forward direction - most red LEDs are a single diode,
> so
> 0.7 volts will cause them to turn on.

Not true in my experience. I can just perceive a glow at around 1.5V
for red and a measurement shows that current doesn't seriously start
flowing until this voltage is reached.

> I have some green LEDs here that take 1.4 volts (e.g. they have
> 2 diodes in series).

Nope. Just one diode. LEDs are bandgap devices and require  higher
voltages than a standard P-N diode. It is approaching 2V for green/
yellow. The colour is related to bandgap energy which in turn is
related to voltage drop across the device. Blue LEDs require a higher
voltage again.

Malcolm