[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Using skin effect (are our conductors to heavy?)

Subject:  Re: Using skin effect (are our conductors to heavy?)
  Date:   Mon, 05 May 1997 15:17:57 -0500
  From:   David Huffman <huffman-at-FNAL.GOV>
    To:   Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>

----------

> > On Mon, 28 Apr 1997 20:18:06 -0700 Bert Hickman
> > <bert.hickman-at-aquila-dot-com> wrote;
> >
> > > All,
> > >
> > > Alas, the perils of an early morning post! The above gives the
factor
> > > (x) of AC resistance divided by DC resistance, not skin depth!
Sorry
> > > 'bout that!
> > >
> > > Skin depth = 1/SQRT(Pi*f*Uo*a) for a cylindrical conductor
(meters)
> > >    where f = Hertz
> > >          Uo = 4*pi*10-7 Henry/meter
> > >          a = 5.80x10^7 mho/m (conductivity of copper)
> > >            = 6.17x10^7 mho/m (conductivity of silver)
> > >
> > >    Copper skin depth = 66.1/SQRT(f) millimeters
> > >                      = 2602/SQRT(f) mils
> > >
> > >    Silver skin depth = 64.1/SQRT(f) millimeters
> > >                      = 2523/SQRT(f) mils
> > >
> > > Comparing skin depths (in mils = 0.001") of the two metals at
various
> > > frequencies:
> > >                   Skin Depth (mils)
> > >            f      Silver     Copper
> > >         ======    ======     ======
> > >         10 kHz     25.2       26.0
> > >         50 kHz     11.3       11.6
> > >         75 kHz      9.2        9.5
> > >        100 kHz      8.0        8.2
> > >        200 kHz      5.6        5.8
> > >        300 kHz      4.6        4.8
> > >        400 kHz      4.0        4.1
> > >        500 kHz      3.6        3.7
> > >        750 kHz      2.9        3.0
> > >       1000 kHz      2.5        2.6
> > >
> > > As can be seen, copper tubing is very hard to beat! At typical
Tesla
> > > Coil frequencies, smooth copper tubing is almost as good as it
gets!
> > > Only pure silver or relatively thick silver plating can beat
it.

> > Interesting equation Bert, where did you get it from?
_/

> Alfred and all,
>
> This particular form, for a good cylindrical conductor, came from
> "Engineering Electromagnetics, 2nd ed." by William H. Hayt, Jr.,
> McGraw-Hill Book Co., 1967, page 344. This is the result of taking
the
> more complex equations for potential and current density (presented
> earlier in the chapter), and solving for the depth at which the
current
> decreases to 1/e or 37% of the value seen at the outer surface of
the
> conductor. The only thing I've changed are the units to go to CGS
or
> English equivalents.
>
> Skin depth REALLY means that the average power loss in a conductor
with
> skin effect is exactly the same as that if the total current flow
was
> uniformly flowing through a tube whose wall thickness was exactly
one
> skin depth.

Hi Bert,
The first time I heard that at 60Hz the skin depth was 1/3" I was
amazed. Also the current vector you mentioned in a previous post is
most interesting. I can imagine a current curving into and out of a
conductor which is thicker that necessary.
Holey conductive phase shift Batman!
Dave Huffman