[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Oil Cap + Paper

Subject:  Re: Oil Cap + Paper
  Date:   Mon, 5 May 1997 12:48:55 +0500
  From:  "Alfred A. Skrocki" <alfred.skrocki-at-cybernetworking-dot-com>
    To:   Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>

On Sun, 4 May 1997 12:10:16 -0400 (EDT) <DavidF4797-at-aol-dot-com>
wrote;

> The only aparent drawback to the paper/plastic leave design is that the
> paper is much more lossy (higher dissapation factor) at TC frequencies
> than poly which can causes it to heat significantly over a long run.

David, in future experiments you might consider using synthetic
fabric as a wick like nylon or better yet polyester, if I'm not
mistaken these have lower power factor losses then paper.

> Generally, I came to the conclusion that for "home Brew" capacitors,
> particulary when a vacumme pump is not handy (most of us)...

David there is no reason why anyone should not have an acceptable
vacuum pump! Next time you see a refrigerator in the trash rip out
it's compressor, they make admirable vacuum pumps and compressors.
Granted since the new compressors are piston pumps they are not as
good as the old rollator pumps (they are better than Welch vacuum
pumps) but they do good enough for pumping down caps and such. BTW
DON"T EMPTY OUT THE OIL otherwise the pumping will not be as good as
with the oil left in.

                               Sincerely

                                \\\|///
                               (  -at- -at-  )
                           Alfred A. Skrocki
                   alfred.skrocki-at-cybernetworking-dot-com
                             .ooo0   0ooo.
                               \_)   (_