[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: - Parts search

Subject:       Re: - Parts search
       Date:   Thu, 01 May 1997 20:02:45 GMT
       From:   robert.michaels-at-online.sme-dot-org (Robert Michaels)
         To:   tesla-at-pupman-dot-com

T>I read the part about 12 foot arcs to mean that the neon sign
T>transformer could light a 12 foot neon sign. That IS called an arc in
T>common usage. (properly, it is a glow discharge.)

T>        jim

        I greatly admire your sense of charity.  It may exceed your
        technical acumen to some degree (or it may not) -- but I do
        admire it.

        It seems to be stretching physics to rather severe degree
        to declare a glow discharge and an arc to be one and the
        same.

        The reason an arc is so-called is because of the shape it
        assumes (it's from the same Latin root as arch).  Although
        we Tesla-ers sometimes describe our discharges as "arcs",
        the strict definition requires the discharge to take place
        between incandescent electrodes.

T>[snips]
T>>>
T>>>         Yeh, yeh, that's pretty standard performance.  Using a
T>>>         ball park figure of about 1-million volts per 6-ft. of
T>>>         arc length, your 12-foot arcs would equate to about
T>>>         2-million volts.
T>>>

T>>Robert I think you missed his point - he was being humorous, what he

                Being humorous?  Oh?  And like I wasn't?  (Already I'm
                insulted   [ doesn't take much does it? ] ).

T>>meant was if this neon transformer was used properly as in a well
T>>designed Tesla coil it would possibly yield 12 foot sparks. I must
T>>admit though I have never seen nor heard of anyone getting more than
T>>a 6 foot discharge from a single neon transformer {15KV/6O ma.}!
T>>I would love to see the design that would yield a 12 foot discharge
T>>from a single neon transformer!

                Six-ft. discharge from a 900-watt neon transformer?

                Sounds like Guiness Book of Record stuff to me.

                That's 72-inches, son.   I think most of us will
                believe that when we see it - along with that
                200-ft. (or whatever) coil which went to that
                mysterious (unnamed) Pacific island.

                                        Charity begins at home -
                                        but I tend to be out a lot
                                        in - Detroit, USA