[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: can you use spark plug wires??

Subject:     Re: can you use spark plug wires??
       Date: Mon, 5 May 1997 09:44:48 +1200
       From: "Malcolm Watts" <MALCOLM-at-directorate.wnp.ac.nz>
Organization Wellington Polytechnic, NZ
         To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com

Hi all,
          Begging to differ somewhat to Alfred's reply to William....

>   From:   "Alfred A. Skrocki" <alfred.skrocki-at-cybernetworking-dot-com>
>     To:   Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
>

> On Thu, 24 Apr 97 06:12:28 UT William Noble
> <William_B_Noble-at-msn-dot-com> wrote;
>
> > while reading about kick back killing neons, it dawned on me that
> > typical automotive spark plug wire is a carbon core with 30KV insulation
> > around it. It is designed to suppress all sorts of stuff yet pass a decent
> > current.  It seems to me that the neon to capacitor connections could be
> > made with this wire, with the following benefits:
>
> The biggest drawback of using spark plug wire is the resistive losses
> They are made of carbon to increase their resistance, in a Tesla Coil
> this will only increase your losses.

I think he was proposing to use them to run from the neon to the caps.
A lot of people use some series R here to kill the Q of
chokes/parasitic Ls and Cs etc.

> > 1. protection of the neon(s)
>
> No protection what so ever, it wold be like expecting a several 100K
> resistor to protect the neon transformer - it wont.
>
> > 2. RF suppression for 60HZ line
>
> To the best of my knowledge spark plug wire has no inherent
> suppresion of R.F. it is the ignition coil circuitry that
> incorperates R.F. suppresion.

Well, the resistance helps kill Q in the ignition circuit doesn't it?
You get a bit of the R-C filter syndrome at work.
     I suspect the scheme is nogo because the average power level the
leads will have to handle will cook them. They are not designed to
dissipate much at all.

Malcolm