[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Source of free toroids (Clarification)

Subject:   Re: Source of free toroids (Clarification)
  Date:    Sat, 3 May 1997 13:35:36 +0500
  From:    "Alfred A. Skrocki" <alfred.skrocki-at-cybernetworking-dot-com>
    To:    Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>

On Fri, 2 May 1997 09:27:31 -0400 (EDT)

> Just to clarify, I was thinking of using these toroids for the core of a
> choke for limiting kickback.

Generally you want soft iron for the core of transformers and chokes.
Soft iron allows the magnetic domains within the iron to move more
freely to keep up with the alternating magnetic field. Magnets on the
other hand require the domains to stay alligned to mantain the
magnetic state, so on first thought it would seem that magnets would
make loussy cores for chokes or transformers. BUT I vaugely remember
reading in an Electronics World magazine from the 1950's that said
that some company was making super chokes using magnets for the core.
So all I can say is wind a few chokes and measure them, it's better
than all the theory in the world!

> The magnets that I'm talking about are only about 3" diameter at most.
> As a follower of Richard Hull (and others) I can tell you that these
> magnets are ridiculously too small for use as a top load on a secondary.

That is why I was soo puzled when I say your origional post.

                               Sincerely

                                \\\|///
                               (  -at- -at-  )
                           Alfred A. Skrocki
                   alfred.skrocki-at-cybernetworking-dot-com
                             .ooo0   0ooo.
                               \_)   (_/