[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RE: annealing copper

Subject:       RE: annealing copper
       Date:   Thu, 01 May 1997 20:01:27 GMT
       From:   robert.michaels-at-online.sme-dot-org (Robert Michaels)
         To:   tesla-at-pupman-dot-com

T>aaargh, I can't stand it.  Let me post this once more and then I'll
T>quit.  You
T>do not have to let copper cool slowly after annealing it, it makes no
T>difference.  prove this yourself.  Workharden a piece of copper wire -

[ ... ]

        Amen, brother, amen.

        I worry about people working with high voltage apparatus
        who are unclear on this concept:  Iron and Copper are not
        the same material.  In the matter of annealing they work
        oppositely.

        Iron/Steel - To HARDEN, heat to bright red and =quench
                     rapidly=.

        Copper     - To SOFTEN, do likewise.

T>smack
T>it with a hammer or bend it a lot or something,  Cut it in half so you
T>have 2
T>work hardened pieces.  Heat them both up to cherry red - use the stove
T>if you
T>wish.  Drop one immediately into water while it is cherry red.  Let
the
T>other
T>one cool as slowly as you care.  When they are both cool, flex each
one
T>and
T>see if you can tell the difference.

 [ ... ]

        AAAaaarrrgghhh!!!

        Will you =please= limit your line-lengths to 70 columns,
        more or less?   Else, if you are using "Navigator" for
        e-mail, refrain from hitting <RETURN> unless you are
        starting a new paragraph.

        We =all= thank you.

                                        An old softie, in -
                                        Detroit, USA