[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RE: Re: Cascading Transfo

Subject:       RE: Re: Cascading Transfo
       Date:   Thu, 01 May 1997 20:02:45 GMT
       From:   robert.michaels-at-online.sme-dot-org (Robert Michaels)
         To:   tesla-at-pupman-dot-com

T>An ideal transformer is a voltage source is it not? Doesn't matter
T>what it's rated at. If you load it up, you blow fuses.

        Huh??

        An "ideal transformer"  (or an un-ideal one for that matter)
        is a voltage source =and= a current source !

        Every transformer (that ever there was) transforms voltage
        =and= current simultaneously.

        It is no more correct to think of a transformer as a voltage
        source than it is to think of it as a current source.

        It is both.  Simultaneously.  Inextricably.

T>    Your point on running 500V into a 120V primary is interesting. I
T>have a beefy transformer producing only 5kV or so on its secondary. I
T>will try doubling its input voltage (while monitoring primary current
T>of course) to see whether the core is sufficient. The insulation
T>easily looks good enough on the secondary side. I had been planning
T>to elevate the secondary voltage by other means but this would be
T>much simpler.

T>Malcolm
T><snip>
                I think you'll be very pleased.  I've used non-
                mil. spec. transformers with success -- but I
                guarantee my method without ill effect only for
                the mil. spec. product.

                                        Ramping up the voltage
                                        in - Detroit, USA

                                        Robert Michaels