[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Source of free toroids(?)

Subject:      Re: Source of free toroids(?)
      Date:   Tue, 29 Apr 1997 05:39:47 -0700
      From:   Gary Weaver <gweaver-at-earthlink-dot-net>
        To:   Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>

Tesla List wrote:

> Subject:  Source of free toroids(?)
>   Date:   Fri, 25 Apr 1997 10:25:55 -0600 (MDT)
>   From:   Chip Atkinson <chip-at-XiG-dot-com>
>     To:   tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
>
> Greetings,
>
> I found out to my dismay that Marlin P. Jones and Assoc. is sold out of
> their large toroids.  Then an idea occurred to me that I thought I'd put
> out for comment.
>
> The magnetron of a microwave oven has ring magnets made of ferrite (or
> some sort of ceramic like stuff).  Any thoughts about this source?  I
> don't see why the magnets wouldn't work, but that's why I'm asking.
>
> Chip

It will work.  I have a very powerful magnet that has about 500 lbs. of
force.  If I put this magnet on a piece of steel I can not get it off
with
out a pry bar.  I put the 7" dia. magnet on top of a 4" secondary coil
like a
toroid and turned on the TC.  It has no visable effects on the sparks
output or my TC.

Gary Weaver