[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: equidrive vs. non-equidrive

Subject:      Re: equidrive vs. non-equidrive
      Date:   Wed, 30 Apr 1997 03:36:18 -0400
      From:   "Kevin M. Conkey" <teslacoil-at-mindspring-dot-com>
        To:   Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>

  >Hi Richard,
  >             I'm delighted to see this post....
  >> >All,
  >> >
  >> >I've done direct comparisons of the equidrive and single leg cap

  >> >arrangements
  >> >and found absolutely no difference either way.  This was in a
  small neon
  >> >TC
  >> >which gave about a 28" spark.  I haven't made comparisons at any
  other
  >> >power
  >> >levels.
  >> >
  >> >Towards optimal coiling,
  >> >
  >> >John Freau
  >> >

  >> All,
  >>
  >> John is absolutely correct.  I really don't know how some might
  come to
  >> think a positive electrical difference would be noted.  We have
  used the
  >> "Equidrive" circuit in all our magnifiers only because the stress
  is
  >> moved
  >> out to two capacitors (twice as expensive).  Lotsa' stress in
  magnifiers
  >> that the old two coilers never see!
  >>
  >>  The only observed advantage of the equidrive is the distribution
  of
  >> heat
  >> and electrical voltage stressed out over two units instead of
  one.
  >> Since we
  >> have run this system we have never lost a capacitor.  That's a
  big
  >> enough
  >> advantage for me!
  >>
  >> Capacitance is capacitance, no matter where it is in a tesla
  circuit.

  >> Richard Hull, TCBOR
  >
  >I have always thought so too despite some people claiming it made a

  >difference. I was never able to see how or why it should.
  >
  >Malcolm
  >
  >Malcolm, all.

  The extra expense of the equidrive circuit is just one disadvantage.

  Another is the lethality of the circuit due to one cap remaining
  charged
  most of the time after shutdown.  Also, the extra wiring adds to off

  axis
  inductance in the primary tank. For the magnifier builder, the above

  disadvantages must be weighed against the rather cool running nature
  of
  the
  system and distribution of the shock of high coupled systems about
  more
  circuit elements.

  For me, there was never a question.  The equidrive won out.  I
  didn't
  feel
  like I needed to hammer the NWL super caps into an early grave.
  Also,
  much
  high tank voltages are much easier to handle with series, equidrive
  caps.
  The key is to keep the primary L very high and then the percentage
  of
  total
  off axis inductance to flux coupled elements is quite small.

  Richard Hull, TCBOR

 Richard,
Aren't you comparing apples to oranges now? If you compare lets say a 1
20kv cap system to an equidrive system shouldn't it have it's caps rated
at 10kv? Or else you should compare an equidrive system with 20kv caps
to a single cap system with a 40kv cap. Or am I confused.

--
Kevin M. Conkey